Orange soda mustache

Like most Americans, my life whips past my face in a blur.
Work, race home already tardy, eat dinner after the wife and kids are done, try to interact with them as well as one can in a limited time window, see them off to bed, work a little more, pass out, wake up worried at 4am, work more, get the kids off to school, go to real work.
Repeat.
And repeat and repeat.
This has been going on for years. I've lived in Austin ten years now and have really put it in more time at the office than I should have, no matter which job.
In that time, my eldest has grown from 4 to 14 years old, my middle child from 2 to 12 and my boy from birth to 7. I'm the dad who shows up late for stuff.
This past weekend, the girls headed off to shop (yes, they're entering that phase) so the boy and I headed out for some man time. That's what we call it when we go out and do things that involve climbing, hiking, fishing, shooting and the like. We climbed Mt. Bonnell and just enjoyed the views and the summertime rain that kicked off just as we reached the top. We hiked around, talked about Army stuff (his passion) and just enjoyed being outdoors together.
On the drive home, we stopped at a gas station. I grabbed a water and he snagged his favorite, an orange soda. We cruised on down the road, our short hair whipping in the wind that blasted through the open windows, enjoying the soothing sounds of Green Day turned up to eleven. As I drove, I was caught up short when I looked in the rear view mirror and saw his face.
There, in the afternoon sun, I could see a hint of downy baby hair on his lip, and the telltale stain of an orange soda mustache. In that instant, I had a snapshot of a little boy (name two adults you know who consistently drink orange soda-it just doesn't happen much) who is growing up, and isn't going to be little for much longer.
It struck me (like the yellow tractor entry listed below) that this ongoing frenzy of a life isn't entirely what I'm made for.
I could write another 500 speeches and get patted on the back 1,000 times and none of that will add up to outweigh the importance of time with my family.
When I hit the Pearly Gates, I expect I'll be asked more about how I did with my family and less about my professional accomplishments.
So I need to keep that orange soda mustache front and center in my mind.
Something needs to change.

Comments

Have you seen this?

http://www.lemonademovie.com/

Brent

Popular Posts